OUR HISTORY

Suitland Baptist Mission began as a fellowship on June 14, 1946, with 26 people meeting at the Suitland Community Hall during the afternoon. In 1947, Fountain Memorial Baptist Church purchased land on which we could build. A Building Fund was established in 1948 and grew so quickly that construction began in the spring of 1949. On November 19, 1949 the building was completed. On May 7, 1950, the First Baptist Church of Suitland was established from the Suitland Baptist Mission with Fountain Memorial Baptist Church as our mother church.
 
On February 11, 1976, as a church, we voted to enter into an expansion of our witness to the community by a “Together We Build” program with the help of the Southern Baptist Convention. The program emphasized “Equal Sacrifice Not Equal Giving.” After overcoming many obstacles, construction finally began in the spring of 1979.
 
Our present facility was completed and dedicated on May 17, 1981, to God’s glory and to further our ministry of proclaiming the Gospel of Jesus Christ throughout the community.Since that time, we have started two successful missions, the Clinton Baptist Church and Calvary Baptist Church on Route 301, south of Upper Marlboro, MD.

Gallery
Gallery